Proper Care Leads to Maximum Healing
All clients will receive an aftercare instruction sheet to take home after their tattoo removal appointment. It is crucial that you apply proper aftercare to your treatment site to ensure the best results. Aftercare helps against infection and unwanted side effects. Ann Arbor Laser Tattoo Removal Specialists will do our best to perform safe and effective treatments with the most advanced technology, but it is your responsibility to ensure your skin heals beautifully outside of our clinic.
- Keep the treated area dry and clean during the healing process. Gently clean the area with soap and water. Pat to dry, avoid rubbing of any kind.
- Apply antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin or Aquaphor, to the area 3 times a day for the first three days following your treatment. Cover the area with a sterile dressing those first three days as well.
- Blistering and scabbing are common side effects to laser tattoo removal. Do not be alarmed if these form. Blisters are actually a good indication that your skin is healing and working to remove the ink from your skin. Some patients experience blisters while others do not. Just because you do not get a blister does not mean your skin isn’t healing. Everyone’s healing process is unique.
- Avoid picking, popping, or shaving over any blisters or scabs that form. Doing so may lead to infection and more serious unwanted side effects. Allow the blisters and scabs to pop or fall off on their own time. Once this happens, apply a thin coat of antibiotic ointment over the area.
- Apply a cold compress, Vitamin E oil, or hydrocortisone cream to the treatment area if any itchiness, discomfort, or inflammation occurs. Tylenol may also be taken for pain relief, but avoid Aspirin or other blood thinners as they can increase risks of bruising and/or bleeding.
- Avoid any soaking of the treatment site. This includes swimming pools, baths, tubs, lakes, rivers, etc. Showers may be taken 2 hours following the procedure, as long as high pressure water is not directly hitting the treatment site.
- Avoid tanning or sun exposure. Apply a sunblock of 25 SPF or higher once the site has completely healed. Repeat this step for 3 months following your laser treatment.
- Patients are highly encouraged to exercise and drink plenty of water. Patients with a healthier immune system are more likely to experience faster fading.
If you experience any extreme unusual symptoms, please call our office immediately at (734) 972-0959.